Key aspects for successful battery regeneration
What is important for bringing a good results from regeneration
Productivity of Work
We believe that the time of Human beings is too valuable. It should not be wasted on the simple and manual and time-consuming tasks, which could (and should) be carried-out by the machine. This is why we made our machines to be fully autonomous, with minimal human intervention needed during the regeneration process.
Regeneration Effectiveness/Success Rate
Regeneration Effectiveness is the ability to restore the lost capacity of the battery. The more capacity restored the better, ofcourse. We are working hard to maximize our success rate in order to bring the best possible results from the regeneration.
Regeneration Process Duration
Batteries either back up, or power some important equipment (UPS or forklift for example), that usually can't stay disconnected for long. Because batteries are a relatively expensive device, the customer usually does not have reserve batteries to replace the ones, which are being regenerated. From this reason it is important to reduce regeneration time, in order to minimize the idle time, during which batteries are not available to the customer.
Logistics & Mobility
Regeneration can be carried out in our specialized workshop or directly at the place of the customer. In our workshop we can provide batteries the best possible service, but then the logistics play it´s role.
Batteries represent a dangerous (toxic) load and their transportation must meet certain criteria. In the case of longer distances, the transportation of batteries can extend the overall duration of the regeneration process, thus make batteries unavailable for the customer for a longer time. Longer distances increase the costs too.
For reasons listed above, the mobility plays an important role. Our technology is built in such a way that the process of regeneration can also be fully realized at the customer´s place. Not only that are our regenerators portable, but they are also fully manageable remotely, over the Internet. Our regenerators located and working at Customer´s place are capturing and recording the same type of data and in the same extent, as those located in our professional workshop.
Extent and quality of the output information
During the regeneration process, we collect a fairly large amount of data on batteries. We consider it important to provide our customers with a comprehensive regeneration output in the form of a report that provides an overall detailed picture of the condition of the battery.
The report shows the status of the battery before regeneration and of course after regeneration. It is clear from the report what particular benefits the battery regeneration has brought.
By continuing to improve our analytics software, we are also working to make better our regeneration output and predict future battery status. Based on the current state of the battery and a database with a wide set of data from previous regenerations, we try to estimate the expected development of the technical state and health of the battery in the future.
Price for the Service
Once you perform the regeneration, it should bring a good results
The Regeneration Process Explained
Regeneration Process Description
The following main steps of the regeneration process are automatically performed by the machine:
|1||Initial battery charging
We need to ensure, that batteries are fully charged before proceeding to the next steps
|3 - 6|
|2||Initial Capacity Test
Measures the capacity of batteries before regeneration
|1 - 10|
Core of the regeneration process—batteries go through a complex regeneration algorithms
|24 - 36|
We need to ensure, that batteries are fully charged before the final capacity test
|3 - 6|
|5||Final Capacity Test
Measures the capacity of batteries after regeneration; how much capacity was restored
|1 - 10|
|6||Final Battery charging
Batteries always need to be in a charged state
|3 - 6|
Work efficiency in implementing the regeneration process
- The degree of human operator involvement in the regeneration process => number of manual actions and total time spent on regeneration
- The number of different types of devices used during regeneration
- Level of automation of the process
The duration of entire regeneration process
- Total duration of the regeneration process (time of realization of the regeneration itself as well as the unproductive time caused by shutdowns between the individual phases of the regeneration process)
- Time the batteries are being regenerated and not available to the customer
- The scope and quality of customer output information in the form of measurements, analyzes and reports
- Available historical data
- The time needed to move the batteries by which the total recovery time is extended
- Practical problems associated with battery transport (heavy weight, dangerous (toxic) material)
- The Success Rate — efficiency of regeneration => the ability to revitalize the battery. How much of lost capacity of the battery can be restored.
The In-Depth Battery Analysis
- The ability to understand the internal state of the battery
Price for the battery regeneration service
Price is determined primarily by the following costs:
- Personnel costs of the Human Operator—Technician, that are determined by the amount of time a technician spends on regeneration
- Logistics costs - moving batteries from customer to specialized warehouse for the regeneration and then back to the customer
- Price of the regeneration technology—equipment and devices needed for performing the regeneration process techniques, as well as the efficiency of their use (standstill time)
- Electricity price
(how we did it before and others still do it)
Old-style Lead-Acid battery regeneration process — problems explained
Regeneration process, as being currently performed within the limits set by the regeneration technology available on the market, is very time consuming, human-operator intensive and ineffective in overall. Especially in western countries, where personnel costs are usually significant, and given that not all batteries can be successfully regenerated, the resulting financial effect of regeneration can be unsatisfactory.
- Inefficient in time
Large time losses caused by downtime during the battery transfer between devices (for example: regeneration ends at 7 PM, but technician puts the battery on the Charger in the next morning at 9 AM. The time-loss is 14 hours just between these two phases).
- High level of manual operations
An intensive human operator interventions is needed during the regeneration. Each set of batteries needs to be moved 6 times! between at least 3 devices during the single regeneration process.
The need to use at least three separate, physically relatively large and heavy devices (Regenerator, Charger and Capacity Tester) during the regeneration cycle.
- Lack of mobility
Moving batteries to specialised workshop for regeneration increases (sometimes significantly) the overal costs of regeneration by the logistics & manipulation expenses. Transport from customer and back also increases the overal time, when the batteries are unavailable to the customer for use. It turns out that the ability to fully and efficiently implement regeneration at customer´s place will be crucial in the future.
- Low sophistication of the entire regeneration process
Automatization and digitalization of all related processes, not only the regeneration itself. This includes detailed records on batteries, handlings and operations performed on them, keeping of partial and overall results, reports and overviews generation, graphs and tables. Reducing high error rates and inaccuracies due to human factor. For a large-scale regeneration projects connection to CMS systems of customers and automatic data exchange.
- Low level of deep diagnostic of internal status/health in lead-acid battery
Collecting and storing data about the electrical quantities of the batteries, measured at regular intervals throughout the regeneration. Their further processing, ability of deep diagnostics and correct interpretation of large amounts of measured data, especially when analysed and compared against a wide range of historical data from many previous regenerations, can provide a fairly accurate picture of the internal battery status. This will also allow us to predict the evolution of the battery's technical condition for the future.
Ideological diagram and explanation of our ecosystem
The effective regeneration process *
- A single device (regenerator) carries out the entire regeneration process. Moving the battery set within several devices is not needed anymore.
- Fully automated regeneration process, the role of human operator and the requirement for his intervention during the process is minimized. Auxliary measurements (eg no-load measurements...) are fully automated too.
- An advanced Lead-Acid battery Diagnostics System incorporated into the ecosystem. Provides an in-time feedback on batteries during the regeneration process. Depending on the data from this diagnostics system, parameters of the regeneration are eventually adjusted, in order to achieve the best possible results.
- Automated reports from the regeneration process, complex and comprehensive, including detailed information on the technical condition of each battery
- Collecting a wide range of data during all phases of the regeneration process and storing them in a structured database. Building as wide and comprehensive as possible base of data over the time, for the future utilisation by modern software tools.
- Involvement of advanced software modeling tools, such as neural networks for example. This allows to predict the evolution of the battery internal health over the time and to extend the basic report from regeneration by this very valuable output.
- Integration with customer CMS for automatic data exchange for large projects.
- Eventual future integration of another auxliary tools, which can make the regeneration process more effective and more precise. For example, automated measure of the battery´s weight, electrolyte gravity (for the flooded batteries), integration the intelligent thermo-cameras into the ecosystem, etc ...
* Note: not all these features are fully implemented yet within our regeneration technology.
Advantages of our system
What makes our system unique?
Our system covers all needs in battery regeneration. This is not only about the hardware - regeneration machines, these are only a part of the big picture. An important part of our regeneration ecosystem is also a software, which allows for controll and management of the complex regeneration projects.
Our Lead-Acid Battery regeneration ecosystem:
- Regenerators: high-quality machines with a wide range of accessories, which included all features needed for realisation of the complex regeneration processes. Functionalities like Capacity Tester, Charger, Discharger and Regenerator itself are all included in a single device and their operation is made to be automatic and autonomous. This enables making the regeneration process very effective.
- Regeneration Management Softvare: a comprehensive suite to manage complex regeneration projects of a large battery fleets.
- Regeneration Workflow - organisation of work, how to do things right and effectively
Extensibility & Robustness
Even in the human body, the heart is the most important organ, the power of which depends on the performance of the whole human organism. We took the example and created the heart of our system really powerful. The power part of our regenerators is really robust. Besides of that, we added a strong "brain" to our regenerators. Our machines contains two separate control units:
- first is the so-called Low-Level Control Unit: a single-chip microcontroller that directly controls power electronics and the regeneration process at the lowest level
- second is the so-called High-Level Controll Unit: a songleboard computer running the Linux operating system that controls the user interface, communicates with the remote server, and other higher and more sophisticated functionalities.
The two controllers communicate with each other and exchange information. This system is powerful and scalable and extendable. Due to its large power reserves, it has no "bottleneck" as many other technological units and systems.
Sophistication & Efectiveness
We strive to use the latest technology and technical tools at our disposal. As a part of our effort for the highest possible effectiveness, we have developed a sensoric system that automatically measures the electrical quantities on the batteries. It does this at regular intervals throughout the entire regeneration process.
Through it we record behavior of the batteries in all phases of regeneration, and store the measured data in a database. In this way, having such a huge data available, we learn to analyze, evaluate, and draw conclusions from it about the actual internal state of batteries.
Our overal goal is not to create a device whose only way of operation is to "go spiritlessly" through the regeneration process. Instead, we want a sophysticated system capable of analysis and feedback, to understand the internal state of the regenerated battery and to respond accordingly to the current development of regeneration. Based on the ongoing analysis of measured data, it automatically adjusts its activity during regeneration. Only such a truly automatic and intelligent system can deliver the best results in battery regeneration.